Should I use Beard Oil or Beard Balm? As a man with a beard, you know that it’s important to take care of your facial hair. But do you know what type of beard care product is best for you? Should you use beard oil or beard balm or both? Both are great products but are intended to be used for different reasons. In this article, we’ll explore the differences and benefits between beard oil and beard balm to help you decide which products are best for you and your beard.
What are beard balm and beard oil, and what are their benefits?
Beard oil and beard balm are two popular products for maintaining healthy facial hair. Beard oil is typically composed of carrier oils, such as jojoba oil, and essential oils for scent. Beard balm is a thicker product that contains beeswax, which gives it a heavier consistency. Both products can help to condition the hair and skin, reduce itchiness, and promote healthy growth. Beard Oil is designed with your skin in mind, typically using non-comedogenic oils, and is the foundation of a beard care routine. Beard oil helps to reduce dry skin, itchiness, and beard dandruff, while also softening hair and promoting healthy growth. On the other hand, beard balm is designed with your facial hair in mind and is made with butters, such as Shea Butter, which are great for conditioning, moisturizing, and softening your beard but may clog pores if used on the skin. In addition to butters, beard balm contains beeswax which can provide a light to heavy hold, helping to style your beard and keeping facial hair in place throughout the day.
How to use beard balm and beard oil
How to use Beard Oil: Beard oil is best applied to a damp beard. Out of the shower after using a Beard Wash is the perfect time to use beard oil. Start by dispatching a few drops into the palm of your hand. 5 to 6 drops is a good starting point. Rub your hands together to evenly distribute the oil on your palms and fingers. Starting under the beard, massage the oil into the skin. Next, rub what’s left on your palms on your beard hairs and even your heck to moisturize your skin. Last, use a comb or brush to distribute the oil evenly throughout your beard and shape it into place. Wait 5 minutes before applying any other beard products.
How to use Beard Balm: Beard balm typically comes after using beard oil. A good rule of thumb is to wait 5 minutes after you applied beard oil before applying any other beard product. Scrape a little bit of balm out of the container using the back of the thumbnail. Some men will use a guitar pick to scrape out the balm. Half of your thumbnail size is a good amount to start with. Put it on your palm or fingers and rub your hands together warming up and liquifying the balm. Apply by working balm through your entire beard. Comb or brush to style to your suiting.
Which one should you use – beard balm or beard oil?
Each person will differ on what they want from a beard product and the style they are going for. If you only had to choose one and wasn’t worried as much about styling then I would choose beard oil for sure. If you want to give yourself a “fresh out of the barbershop” look then beard balm would be for you. Using both together is the best bet though to give you the best beard possible. Using oil to stop the itch and soften the hair while adding balm for extra conditioning, softening, and styling is a great choice. If you want the extra condition for your beard but don’t want the styling that wax has, then check out Beard Butter. It has all the conditioning without any wax. Just like any other topic, there are opinions on both sides here. It comes down to your personal preference really. First look at what you are trying to accomplish with your beard and choose the product or products that align with those goals.
Tips for using Beard Oil
- Start with a small amount, 5 drops or so. Oil goes a long way and you can add a little more if needed.
- If your beard feels oily after 5 minutes then maybe you applied too much. Try a little less next time.
- Applying beard oil to a damp beard is a game-changer. You don’t want your beard dripping wet but just damp to the touch. Try more or less water to see what works best for your beard.
- Apply to the skin under your beard. It’s fine to wipe extra oil left on your hands onto your beard but get to the skin underneath first. That’s the most important area to apply.
- It’s perfectly fine to apply beard oil a second time later in the day if you need it.
Tips for using Beard Balm
- Just like oil, a little balm goes a long way. Start small and add more if needed.
- Using balm by itself is a great choice for some guys. If you only want to use balm and skip the oil, go for it.
- It is fine to rub balm deep into your beard and into the skin. Just note that balm could cause breakouts due to clogging pores in some people. If that happens to you then go with the oil and balm combo and apply the oil to the skin and keep the balm on the hair.
- Read our Beard Balm FAQ for more tips and information.